Friday, October 9, 2009

BeauSoleil: Room With a View

Photo: TEAM BeauSoleil

Solar Decathlon Update: Every two years 20 university teams are chosen, based on proposals, to design an all-solar home and assemble it on the National Mall in Washington DC for public viewing and judging. Check back each Wednesday as the NAV Blog reports on the process of the design and construction of BeauSoleil, the University of Louisiana at Lafayette's entry. For more info about the project, visit their website. And check out a short film about the project.



The photo - a shot from inside the BeauSoleil all-solar home.

When I lived in Washington, I had a running ritual. My house was in Capitol Hill, a half mile from the Capitol. I ran down Capitol Hill, then along the mall up to and around the Washington Monument (I would touch it every time), back down the mall, up Capitol Hill - and believe me, it is a hill! - then back home.

Five miles exactly.

For several years, I ran the mall 4-6 times a week. That was a few years and a few pounds ago.

Still, this photo brings back memories.